A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Friday, May 29, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend

I had arranged my May schedule to have 10 days off at the end of the month.  And as usual I have packed plenty in!  First day I wandered about pinehurst including a visit to the clubhouse and gift shop. I figured out I can just walk in here and hang out on the porch without anyone really caring....
Thursday evening was the Raleigh beer mile. Drink 4 beers and run 4 quarter mile loops to make up one full mile. I was a little apprehensive at the start but it actually went quite well. 
Finishing up the last beer. 
Home stretch. Made it sub 10 minutes!
Minimal spillage. I actually figured out on beer 3 that spilling was ok because it meant drinking less....
After the beer mile we headed to cloud brewery where they have a serve yourself beer bar, complete with magical bracelet to swipe before pouring (and therefore get charged)
Figuring out the swipe technique.  
The next day I headed north to Burke to spend the weekend with the Neumann clan. Eve was ridic cute as per usual. 
And we had beer Popsicles! 
Between Hannah and Eve I was overwhelmed by cuteness.  And energy...
Anne and I got a night out in Fairfax town centre. Rei, coastal flats, Ben and jerrys, and a fountain....

For Sunday mom and I headed out with the wanderbirds for a Maryland hike near camp David. Apparently when POTUS is around some of the trails are closed....with armed guards...
A random guy climbed out to the far rock just after I took his and had me take his picture using an old school disposable camera. Cool shot and I was glad I didn't take a picture of him falling to his death....
I stuck to the closer rocks. 
Brief vista about a mile from the end. 
And excellent beers at the finish. The hike leaders,Kiko and Susana, used to homebrew and have great taste! 
Monday mom and I headed to a Memorial Day run. Wear blue: run to remember is an organization that has runs all the time remembering fallen soldiers. This one was particularly poignant. A great race and a great way to remember what the weekend is about. 
Pictures of fallen solo doers along the course. 
I also got a new shirt of course. 
Finished up the weekend with drinks by the pool and a great cookout. 
With vintage Hannah in her potty training celebration dress (which she later peed on, but what can you do) 


Unfortunately that night I finally caught the stomach plague that has been circulating northern Virginia day cares. Tuesday was pretty much a wash, with me lying on the couch and drinking sprite. But it came at the best time if I had to get sick. Before I headed out for the rest of my weeks adventures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment