A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

North Carolina Interlude

I headed back to NC for a couple weeks of work after my time in DC. On the way back I found the American tobacco trail. This trail is part of the rails to trails conservatory project, where former rail lines are converted into trails. 
This one is 22 miles long one way so it was perfect for my long run (16k). It is very well maintained with bridges etc and nice and wide. 
I ran on the wake forest side. Apparently the Durham size can be a little sketchy with muggings, but wake is safe! 
The full trail map. 
Once back in pinehurst my nightly runs included all manner of wild life. The deer below were particularly fun to watch run. I've also seen rabbits, squirrels of course, various birds and a raccoon! 
Later night runs make for pretty sunsets and moon rises. 
Over lake pinehurst. 
For one of my day runs I headed to Weymouth woods. This park only has about 3 miles of trails but I managed to make a few loops and get 6 miles out of it. 
Long leaf pines! 
The park is also know for bird watching. I didn't sit still enough to see many :)

One of the better golf course sunsets just after a rain. 

I also made a day trip to Charlotte. I had a doctors appointment but I also got to enjoy the usnwc trails and my 250th American beer since joining untappd about a year ago! 
My happy place. 
For my next long run (23k) I ran every square inch of the greenway! It was a gorgeous day. 
And there also happened to be a car show going on at the country club. This train is actually a bar area for rich people...
My 23k route below. 
My last few days of call were quite busy. Leaving work late I decided to just run along the sidewalk on 211. I times
It well to run west for sunset and easy for moon rise. Gorgeous night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment