A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Clifton

At the end of June I had a few days in northern Virginia after NYC. I decided to go explore the town of Clifton.  It is only 15-20 minutes from Burke but seems much farther away. Lots of sprawling lots and farmland and horses. I also found the only vineyard in Fairfax county! 
Paradise springs has been around for about 5 years. I enjoyed a tasting with the wine educator, George. He was a former intelligence officer for the U.S. During the Cold War and was also German. He had some interesting insights into the world! 
I explored the grounds afterwards. Stunning day. 
George also took me into the cellar room and explained all the ways the wine is aged, French oak, American oak, and steel at this vineyard.  
More of the amazing grounds. We plan to go on a hike here next time, parking at bull run and walking over. 





After the vineyard I headed to the old town area. They have really revitalized the area. The VRE runs right thru it as well. 
My Dad's family was out Clifton way before his Dad came over to Fairfax city. One of my great great Grandmothers was a kincheloe. I wonder if related to this house? 
I enjoyed a beer at the old general store, and wondered if my grandfather and great uncles had done the same! 
I wandered over to the park to complete my tour. Heaps of kids playing and a great spot to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment