A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Jackson Bay sunrise & sandflies

Still working on the jet lag, I woke up around 5 am. The tent was covered in sandflies. Inside was ok but outside was frightening. As I couldn't sleep anymore I elected to take a sunrise walk. 
It was a gorgeous morning and I was treated to the Dolphins swimming in the ocean. They were playing about and literally surfing---riding the waves in and then swimming out. 
A long sunrise over the mountains. 

Nick joined me eventually as the flies near the car were just horrendous. Trying to avoid them...
I put on my net to clean up our stuff. We decided to high tail it out of there. While we originally planned to go to Stafford hut, we decided we needed elevation and no flies! 
Last bit of sunrise as we headed out of town. 

We went over to haast for breakfast and then to the visitors center. Interesting sign seen there...
Moon still visible in the clear clear skies. 
We had decided to head to Douglas rock hut for New Year's Eve. We stopped at knights point on the way up the coast.  Gorgeous. 
Sandfly photo bomb over nicks left ear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment