A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Hawai'i--kealakekua bay trail


After a long day of travel from IAD to LAX to Kona, I arrived at my guest house, Halemalu.  I arrived around 10pm, which added the challenge of finding the place, in the dark, off a narrow one lane country road.  But I was successful with some phone guidance from the owner!  Despite it being 3 am eastern, I stayed up a little longer and finally went to sleep around midnight hawaiian time.  The next morning my remote guesthouse location payed off, as I was one mile from the Kealakekua bay trail.

This trail starts in a neighborhood, and goes down, down, down some lava for awhile, before evenutally arriving at the Captain Cook memorial.  This is the only way to see the memorial, as the park on the other side of the bay is the closest parking area.  So you can walk, or kayak....

Given my jet lag, I had woken up at 5 am, so I got an early start around 7 am.  This was a great idea, as it got hot quickly.  And I also got a parking spot...

Welcome clouds were in the sky as I made my way down, which helped with the heat.  Amazing views of the ocean and the bay.
 
Arrived down at the shoreline.  This is the bay where Captain Cook fell to his death just a year after "discovering" Hawai'i.
 
The little weasel like creature above was a novelty today.  I would see about a million of them over the next 10 days!

And also walk on plenty of lava!  Heading back up now (the memorial photos are in a separate post)

Also found some cute yellow birds that hung out on the trail with me for awhile.

And plenty of lava!

A heiau (remains of) in the far distance.  This temple is where the body of Captain Cook was taken for ritual desecration.

Blue skies meant great views and a very hot walk uphill for 2 miles!
 
Saw a "wild" boar here.  He was behind a fence, so I guess not so wild.  Made a lot of noises though.


** for more info on any of the hikes, see bigislandhikes.com.  This was my go to resource!**

No comments:

Post a Comment