A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Mauna Kea 4


Directions to the various observatories/labs, including one named Subaru...

Walking up the road in strong winds with cold temps.  But I had enough layers and face protection to make it!
 
Observatories at the summit.
 
And I'm here!  The true summit is also sacred, so this is as close as I get.
 
Panoramic around the top.
   
The toilets were tied down.  I didn't try to go in these in the super strong winds.

I headed back down the road.  Because of the weather, the road was closed, so only official vehicles were on it.  I chose to walk back down the longer but easier road, as weather was coming in, and I wasn't sure what visibility would be like.
 
Stopped for lunch behind some boulders to protect from the wind, and got snow flurries with my lunch!
 
Heading downhill now!

Crazy clouds rolling in.  Little did I know they were having horrible weather down at hilo.  And it was snowing all the way down at 6000 feet on the saddle road!

I started hearing thunder, but realized I was above the thunder clouds....

The clouds/mist were moving quite quickly rolling across the hills and the road.
 
Back down at the carpark, looks a little different that it did when I started this morning!  Amazing hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment