A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Kilauea Iki Trail 1


My first hike in Volcano National park was the Kilauea Iki trail.  Definitely my favorite.  The 4 mile walk takes you into the crater for a unique experience.  I started out early, which was perfect as it was much less hot and I was basically alone in the crater.

The hike starts behind the volcano house hotel, along the rim before dropping down into the crater.

Heading down onto the lava, it got warm quickly!
 
The "trail" is marked by stacked rocks.  They are usually easy to see, but occasionally you have to look a little harder to find the next stack...

Impressed flowers can grow out here!
 
Looking around the crater, felt like I was on the moon.
 
So much lava, caves, fissures, and steam vents.
 
Lava takes many forms from tiny loose rocks to large boulders to flat areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment