A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Pu'uhonoa o Honaunau National Historic Park


After leaving my guest house at Halemalu, I headed south.  My first stop was Pu'uhonoa o Honaunau National Historic Park. (Place of Refuge).  This had a section with multiple historic artifacts along the beach, and also a longer trail.    More info on this section here:  https://www.nps.gov/puho/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Above is a game called Konane, somewhat like checkers, and played on a board on the beach!

No turtles in the cove today, but I would eventually see some later in my trip!

The great wall, seen above next to the fish ponds.  This marked the border of the place of refuge, or safe place.

Hale o Keawe below, a heiau (temple) and mausoleum.
 
Images of the gods.
 
This is where warriors or those needed absolution scrambled out of the ocean onto the lava into safety.

Walking around behind the great wall on my way to the 1871 trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment