A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Mauna Kea 1


After a couple nights at Volcano National Park (4800ft), I headed to Mauna Kea (13800 feet).  The carpark is at 9800 feet.  I got there plenty early to fill out the "yes I'm actually hiking this" form and spend a little time at the visitors center to try for acclimatization.

Beautiful morning at the visitors center (which was closed this early at 730am..)

After convincing the ranger I was actually capable of hiking this trail, I set off.  He had said it was very windy and cold at the top, and that a guy from Seattle had gotten lost earlier that morning.  (he was hiking in the dark at 4am...).  I took it slow (taking lots of pictures) and had 3L of water, plus 4 more layers of clothes.

The first section of the hike is a 4wd road, and it's steep immediately.  You do feel the elevation, as I ended up doing 7 miles in about 4 hours.  (normal pace is 2.5-3.5 miles an hour).

Absolutely stunning views at every turn.

Looking back to Mauna Loa, with snow on the top as well.
  
I took a lot of pictures of Mauna Loa.  This was a good thing, since it was no longer visible on my way down!
 
A lot of pictures of Mauna Loa....
 
As I continued up the trail was dirt/loose lava, with plenty of red lava rocks everywhere.  And getting higher and higher...
 
But Mauna Loa still there!
    
Clouds coming and going in the valley between the two volcanos.
  
Getting pretty high up now!  The trail was well formed and the grade really was bad after the first mile or so.
 
And now Mauna Loa is about even with my elevation!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment