A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Awaroa Inlet to Onetahuti

I headed out from the hut and initially thought my Aquataxi stop was not far away. There was a map with the stop highlighted but I eventually figured out that was a different stop, not the one I was meant to take. I had another hour walk from there. But I set off fairly leisurely at first. 
Along the mud flats and over to the beach. One of the wilsons lodges is here, but still closed for winter. 
Continuing along the beach I found two ways to walk. I chose the low tide route towards Awaroa lodge. It was also closed but had a map showing where I was  actually supposed to go! 

Now I headed up to go over the saddle to Onetahuti. I walked quite fast for about a kilometer. 

But quickly saw the beach in the distance and figured out I still had plenty of time. 

Back down to the beach and a lovely Boardwalk. 



And a bridge across what was now must sand but becomes a river during high tide. The tides here fluctuate 4m in depth. 

I quite liked the bridge. 

Made it on to the beach and plenty of time for a nice pale ale while I waited for the boat! 
In hopes that maybe the skins had prevailed I drew in the sand. I didn't have enough connection to look up the score. Sadly they lost. 

The gull thinks he wants my beer. 

Soon my Aquataxi would show up to take me to Marahau and my next accommodation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment