A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Matterhorn alpine express

After getting a base layer on for my trip up to the glacier I headed over to the gondola, the alpine express. Wonderful views of Zermatt as I headed up. And much easier than the walk up to Trift!
Looking out over the restaurant at furi, the first gondola stop. 
As I  continued up towards schwarzsee, I entered into the clouds. 
Schwarzsee restaurant. 
The final leg from trockener steg to the glacier is on the bigger tram. I took a little break and walked around trockener steg a bit and down to the lake. 

Above the clouds with blue sky here. But couldn't see Zermatt below. 
Now time to head up to the glacier!
A hutte about 800m from trockener steg. It looked like a fun place to go but unfortunately wouldn't be open late enough for me. Unless of course I wanted to walk back down!
We then started to go over the glacier. The views were breathtaking. The glacier allows for year round skiing. Several of the pistes are reserved for various national ski teams. 
Amazing. 


As we pulled into the station, it definitely looked like we were going to hit the mountains. The tram actually parks inside one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment