A story of trails, beers, runs, and experiences.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Ben Lomond

Monday I set off to try Ben lomond trail. It was one I had meant to do a few other times but never got around to. I started it by the gondola on the tiki track. 
In standard fashion, plenty of uphill! Gorgeous day for it though. 
Heading in the right direction!
Views over lake wakatipu. My favourite. 

Unlike zermatt, the mtb trails are labeled much better here. Significantly less chance of accidents! 
Mid rise clearing. 

Continuing up. Had been warned of ice and snow above the bush line. 
At this point the mud was frost. Easy to walk on. 
First bit of snow. 

Amazing views. 
And more snow....

Queenstown in the distance. 


More distance. And more snow. 
I met a girl at the bottom of the snowiest bit. She was a bit apprehensive to go up in her sneakers. I loaned her a pole and we made it up to the saddle. 

Picture time! Nice to have someone to take my picture. 

So we took a lot. 
Went up a touch higher but it was getting pretty slick. And we had to go back down. 
More wonderful views on the way down. 

Saw a skier in the distance. He caught up to us. After he got below the snow he strapped his skis to his back and started down on a run. This was quite impressive as the previous frost was all straight mud. 
Only did one mudslide on my way down. Even with boots and poles. Not sure how all the sneaker people fared. 

Such a stellar day. 



I really adore lake wakatipu. And just keep taking photos. 
Getting back into dry land and warmth. 
At midway clearing I stopped for my beer. With the technical downhill walk I hadn't wanted to dull my senses at all at the top! 
One mile trail back down to the road. 


And back in town.  Amazing day. Love this place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment